The Chief Building Official is responsible for the enforcement of building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, gas, and other applicable codes. This office reviews building plans and conducts field inspections to ensure compliance.
The following codes* are enforced within the Northport City Limits and Police Jurisdiction:
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2014 NFPA 70 (National Electrical Code)
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
*codes adopted April 18, 2016 with some appendices and amendments. Contact Chief Building Official for further information.
With a few exceptions, all new construction and alterations within the city limits or police jurisdiction require a permit. Contact the Chief Building Official at 205-333-3027 with questions about building permits or to request inspections.
Building permit application and other forms available on our Forms page.