Courtroom Code of Conduct
While visiting the Northport Municipal Court, please abide by the following rules of conduct while court is in session. This is for the consideration of court proceedings and those around you.
- Silence all cell phones and electronic devices while court is in session. The bailiff will confiscate any devices in violation of this rule and return it when court is over.
- Dress appropriately for court. You should not wear shorts, tank tops, muscle shirts, or dirty or torn clothing. You should wear clothing that fits and does not expose your mid-section. Men will not be allowed to wear hats in the courtroom. No hoods or sunglasses may be worn inside the court.
- Find a babysitter. Court is no place for children. If you do not have any alternatives and bring your child to court then you will be expected to keep them under supervision. If your children disrupt court proceedings they will be asked to leave.
- Be on your best behavior. You will be expected to be polite, courteous, and respectful to the judge, court personnel, and your fellow citizens.
- Drinks and Food ARE NOT ALLOWED in the courtroom. Please dispose of any drinks or food in the trash can provided.
- Weapons ARE NOT ALLOWED. Court security will not be responsible for holding prohibited items.
- Tobacco products are prohibited while inside the municipal court building.