The City of Northport Engineering Department’s mission is to plan, develop, and manage the City’s infrastructure by maintaining engineering and environmental standards, sustaining community growth, and providing a high level of service that enhances the quality of life in the community.
The Engineering Department is composed of the following three (3) Divisions:
- Civil Engineering
- Traffic Engineering
- Stormwater Engineering and Management
Additionally, the City Engineer oversees the operations of the Water and Wastewater Departments.
The Engineering Department oversees the design, construction, inspection, and maintenance of City infrastructure projects relating to streets, drainage, water, and sanitary sewer. The Department also manages traffic and transportation engineering including signals, signage, and traffic studies.
Engineering staff also provide the following services:
- Engineering and surveying support for other departments
- GIS Data collection
- Plan preparation for minor public works projects
- Maintain record drawings and easements for City infrastructure
- Review of building permits and development plans to ensure that they are in compliance with City codes, ordinances and regulations
- Coordinate utility relocations and ROW permits
- Right-of-way acquisition
- Coordinate with Federal, State, and County officials
- Floodplain Management
- Provides Project/Construction Management for City projects