The City of Northport Engineering Department's mission is to plan, develop, and manage the City's infrastructure by maintaining engineering and environmental standards, sustaining community growth, and providing a high level of service that enhances the quality of life in the community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and oversee all capital improvement projects, maintain all infrastructure records and to review new and future project plans. The goals of the division are to deliver projects on time, establish a list of project priorities and schedules, and respond quickly and effectively to all our customer's concerns.
- Manage traffic and transportation engineering including signals, signage, and traffic studies. In addition to city engineering staff there is a support staff of two Traffic Technicians.
- Stormwater Management – The Clean Water Act requires the city to develop, implement and enforce a Stormwater Management Program (SWMP). This plan is used to prevent the pollution of stormwater runoff in the city’s jurisdiction and thus protect the water quality of local streams and lakes.
Engineering staff also provide the following services:
- Engineering and surveying support for other departments
- Geographic Information System (GIS) interactive web maps, asset mapping and data collection
- Perform grant management which serves to identify and manage funding sources to supplement the City of Northport’s growth in all areas including infrastructure, recreation, and public services
- Plan preparation for minor public works projects
- Maintain record drawings and easements for City infrastructure
- Review of building permits and development plans to ensure that they are in compliance with City codes, ordinances, and regulations
- Coordinate utility relocations and Right-of-Way (ROW) permits
- Right-of-way acquisition
- Coordinate with Federal, State, and County officials
- Floodplain Management
- Provides Project/Construction Management for City projects
- Historic Williamson Cemetery Information